ID Requirement for licences and identification cards

You must provide acceptable identification and proof that you are a legal resident of both Canada and Alberta when applying for an Alberta driver licence or an Alberta Identification card. 

Temporary documents and/or photocopies of documents are not acceptable. All documents must be original (not expired where applicable) and may be subject to verification with the issuing entity. 

Proof Of Identity

Documents submitted, as proof of identity must show your photo, full legal name and date of birth.  

Some examples of original documents that have a photo and may be used as proof of identity include 

  • An Identification card or driver's licence issued by any official government 
  • Department of National Defence driver's licence (DND 404).  
  • Canadian Armed Forces Identification Card.  
  • A valid passport, NEXUS card or permanent resident card 

Some examples of unacceptable identification: 

  • Debit and credit cards or cheque cashing cards 
  • Social Insurance Number cards 
  • Interim or temporary driver's licences 
  • Business cards 
  • Membership cards 

If you name has changed due to marriage, divorce or a legal change of name, you must inform us and present proof of your other names (E.g. Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Birth Certificate, Certificate of Legal Name Change) 

Canadian Residence Documents

One of the following original documents may be presented as proof that you are a permanent or temporary resident of Canada: 

  • Canadian Provincial Birth Certificate 
  • Valid Canadian passport, NEXUS or Permanent Resident card 
  • Valid Foreign Passport with Work / Study permit 
  • Your permit must have a minimum of 90 days left to be eligible for licensing 
  • Secure Certificate of Indian Status 
  • Canadian Citizenship Card dated before February 2012 
  • A confirmation document, permit or resident visa issued by the Government of Canada that gives you resident status in Canada for more than the next 90 days 
  • Refugee claimants with a Refugee Protection Claimant Document and valid work or study permit 

If your Canada residence documents are not in English, you must present a written translation from an approved translator. 

Alberta Residence Documents 

At least one of the following types of original documents with your Alberta address may be presented as proof that you are living in Alberta: 

  • Utility bills showing an Alberta address 
  • Telephone bill 
  • Gas bill 
  • Cable TV bill 
  • Internet bill 
  • Other acceptable documents: 
  • Bank / Credit Card statement 
  • Alberta Social Benefit Statements 
  • Income tax assessment summary (Notice of Assessment) 
  • Signed residential lease agreement showing residential address 
  • Written confirmation of Alberta employment including contact name and telephone number (must be current within the last 15 days). 
  • Written confirmation from an educational institution in Alberta indicating dependents are attending school full time.  
  • Copy of a Land Title (does not include rental properties, client must physically reside at the location).  
  • Written confirmation from an Alberta Hutterite Colony stating the client is a resident of the colony. 

The documents must contain your full name, address and have a date of less than 90 days to ensure the information is reasonably current. 

If you do not have Alberta residency documents yet, you do not have to exchange your previous drivers licence right away. You have 90 days from the day you moved to Alberta to obtain your driver's licence. 

Please be aware that we cannot issue you a driver’s licence or identification card unless you can present valid proof that you are a legal resident of both Canada and Alberta.