Motor Vehicle Registration & Reminder Services

Motor vehicle registration in Edmonton doesn’t have to be a hassle if you are prepared and you have Accu-Search Registries Inc. to help. First of all, we are here to protect your personal information while making the registration process run as smoothly as possible. For these security reasons, most motor vehicle services require that you appear in person at our counter. It is important that we ensure that you are the person posing for your photo for your licence/ID card. We also ensure only you are able to update your address, vehicle information, and personal identification.


Who Needs To Register Their Vehicle?

To be on a public road or street in Alberta you must have a:

  • Valid driver’s licence
  • Valid proof of auto insurance
  • Valid registration certificate

The vehicle you are registering must be in Alberta, and you must register all motor vehicles such as cars or trucks, as well as some non-motor vehicles like trailers. If you are a new Alberta resident, you have 90 days after your move to a new address to register your vehicle.

If you are 18 years of age or older, you can register your vehicle on your own. If you are under 18, you can register a vehicle, but you need a parent or guardian to sign a consent form at the registry agent office.

Why Vehicle Registration Is Important

Obtaining motor vehicle registration in Edmonton protects you as a documented owner of your car, truck, motorcycle, and any other vehicle such as snow machines and off-road vehicles that require a valid registration certificate. In case your vehicle is lost, stolen or towed, you have legal proof that it is yours. In order to register your vehicle in Alberta you must present:

  • Proof of ownership document – a lease, bill of sale, probated will, or letters of administration
  • Proof of valid insurance for the vehicle in your name
  • Acceptable identification with photo, first and last name, and official identification number

Some Vehicles Are Exempt

Undersized vehicles that can’t be legally driven on public roads but only on private land are not issued vehicle registration certificates. These include:

  • Electric scooters
  • Mini-bikes and small mopeds
  • Small ATVs with 3 or 4 wheels
  • Segways®
  • Golf carts

You can operate some equipment and non-motorized trailers without a valid registration. The exceptions include:

  • Heavy equipment – tractors, backhoes, graders, street sweepers
  • Trailers with permanent equipment like air welders, tar buckets, concrete mixers, crushing equipment
  • Farming equipment – agricultural and livestock
  • Mobile homes

Who Needs to Obtain a Driver’s Licence?

You need a driver’s licence to drive legally in Canada. The penalties for driving without a licence (or a revoked or suspended licence) can be quite severe, including fines, a suspended licence up to 2 years, and prison time. A valid driver’s licence shows you have passed a test on Alberta’s traffic laws and a test of your competency behind the wheel. If you are over 16 years of age, here are the types of licences you need to be on the road legally in Alberta:

  • Learner’s licence (Class 7) to drive with someone over 18 with a Class 5 licence
  • Class 5 to drive all Class 5 vehicles by yourself if you are over 18 years old
  • Class 6 licence to drive a motorcycle if you are over 16 years old
  • Class 7 licence to drive a moped by yourself
  • Professional licence (Class 1-4) to operate professional vehicles

Get Registration Reminder Service for Edmonton

PLEASE NOTE: Government no longer sends out reminder notices to Albertans to renew your licence plates or driver’s/identification cards! That’s why we are now offering a registration reminder service for our clients. Please click on our e-Reminder service link to get a free text or email reminder link above to renew!

Renew Early and Avoid Waiting in Line!

Please remember, for licence plate renewals, come in early to avoid month-end, last-minute lineups, and remember to bring your proof of insurance (pink card) for licence plate registrations AND renewals as we are required to annually confirm that you have valid insurance on your vehicle.

Driver’s licence and identification card renewals occur on your birthday or permit anniversary instead of month end. We are open from 7:30 AM to 5:30 PM Mondays – Fridays to help you avoid any daytime lineups!