Cancel a Vehicle Registration in Alberta
Cancel your vehicle registration and receive a refund for your registration based on the time left on your registration
To cancel your vehicle registration, you will need to come into our office and present the followings:
- Acceptable Identification
- Your Licence Plate (Optional)
- Completed Licence Plate / Parking Placard Cancellation Declaration form
The cost is $9.00 and this fee cannot be deducted from the refund. If you are eligible for a refund, you will receive a cheque in the mail in approximately 4-6 weeks.
You can authorize another individual to cancel your vehicle registration. Simply fill out the Authorization for Vehicle Services form and have the authorized person bring in the original of this form when he/she comes into our office.
Out of Province Cancellation
If you move to another province and exchange your licence plate, you can mail the followings to our office to cancel your vehicle registration:
- A written request signed by all registrants shown on the vehicle registration certificate
- A photocopy of your driver's licence
- A written verification issued by the jurisdiction you are surrendering your plate to
If you are outside of Alberta, and the jurisdiction does not take your plate, you can mail it to us with your request.
- Person cheque or money order for $9.00 (the registry agent service fee)
Additional charge will apply for all credit card payment. Make sure to send us an email address to receive an electronic invoice.
If you are eligible for a refund, you will receive a cheque in the mail in approximately 4-6 weeks.